To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions

Crofton Community Club

How do I become a member?

Contact CCC!

Dues are only$25 for an individual/couple, $60 for your entire business! These dues help support our activities and functions.

Do I need to fill out a form?

Yes. You can download the form by clicking here.


How long does it take to get a library card?

Our librarian will be able to supply you with a new library card the same day you apply.

Are electronic books available?

No, not at this time.

What does our Library Offer?

We do offer a summer kids program every Wednesday from 10:00 am to 11:00 am. 

Knitting and Crocheting classes from 7:00pm to 8:30pm

(A Reminder that we will be Closed the week of the 4th of July.)

Regular hours:



Wednesday- 9 am to 1 pm

                    6pm to 8:30pm

Thursday- 1pm to 5pm

Saturday- 9am to 11am



Senior Citizen Center

What day's do you have Bingo?

Bingo Every Monday and Friday (if we have enough players) 1:00 CST

When Do you have Caregivers Support Group?

The second Wednesday of each month.

When do you have Birthday Bingo?

The Third Wednesday of each month.

Do you have Health Clinics available?

Health Clinics are held monthly on various days and times, depending on when the nurses or EMT's are available.

City Offices

What hours is City Office open?

City Office is open from 8am - 4:00pm Monday -Thursday.


May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

No, please contact the city office if you have any questions.

Annual Budget

When are budgets due?

Budgets are due on or before September 20th each year.

When do County Assessors' certify valuations?

County Assessors' must certify valuations on or before August 20th each year.

What are the options for giving notice for the budget hearing?

  1. Publish this notice in a newspaper of general circulation. The notice must be published at least five days prior to the date of the hearing. If the notice is published, you must submit a copy of the affidavit of publication from the printer.
  2. Post at the governing body's principal headquarters. This option is only available if the total budget of disbursements and transfers does not exceed $10,000.

LB 568, passed in the 202 Legislative Session, removed the ability to mail notices to each resident. Notices can only be published or posted.


What needs to happen if the budget adopted is different from the published budget?

If the adopted budget reflects a change from what was published, a notice of the summary of changes must be made within twenty (20) days after its adoption setting forth the items changed and the reasons for such changes. No public hearing is required as long as the summary of changes is published within twenty (20) days.



If a summary of changes is not provided within 20 days, the budget has not been legally adopted. The governing body must conduct another budget hearing, giving proper notice, and re-adopt its budget.


What does the lid on restricted funds mean to my political subdivision?

The biggest misconception about the lid on restricted funds is that the lid is on disbursements. There is no lid on disbursements. The lid on restricted funds is based on the amount of property tax and State Aid a political subdivision can receive each year.

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the City of Crofton , what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application if available.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at the City Office.  Interviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the City of Crofton hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted here when available.

Building Permits & Inspections

What is the process for getting a building permit?

Take a moment to read all required information provided in the building permit process form. Then print and fill out the building permit application form and return to city office.  Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.

Gas & Electric Utilities

Is there Rebates and Energy Efficiency programs available

Yes! Visit Black Hills Energy website https://www.blackhillsenergy.com/save-money-energy



Visit Cedar Know Public Power 


Sanitation & Waste Management

When are the garbage collection days for my street?

Every Wednesday morning. Remember, observed holidays will alter the normal routine.

Where should I set my garbage container?

Please set it along the sidewalk or curb by 6:00am on your day of services.

What can I do with paint and chemicals?

We can dispose of any paint cans that are either empty or in which the paint is completely hardened.

What do I do with my leaves and grass clippings?

They will need to be disposed of at the local landfill. Contact the City Office for more information. 1-402-388-4766

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office and a one-time extension will be extended to you for extenuating circumstances.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.


What is the process for getting a building permit?

Come on in to the City office and we will give you the paperwork needed for a permit.

What the City Office's time of operation?

Monday - Thurday from 8:00am to 4:30pm

What is the number to the Police Station?


What is the physical address of the City Offices?

1210 W. 2nd st Crofton Nebraska 68730

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Economic Development


Want to know about Incentives offered in the Knox County, Down Payment Assistance, Owner-Occupied Housing Rehabilitation, New Construction thru NENEDD, Online Training Programs Thru REAP, Knox County Leadership Group, Knox County Alumni Project

It's important to contact your local Economic Development Director if you have questions pertaining to your business needs!


Community Resources

Starting your own Business

Wanting to Expand your current business?

Looking for Housing Programs?   Please Click Here for more information!